Travis County, Texas
FM 969: PHASE I
LJA worked closely with TxDOT and Travis County on this pass-through financing project and found ways to save the County money and time. By suggesting dividing the project into two phases, LJA was able to perform a Categorical Exclusion on the 2-mile section of Phase I while performing an Environmental Assessment on the 2-mile portion of Phase II. This approach allowed the first segment, which was designed within the existing ROW, to go to construction well before the second portion which required significant acquisition of ROW. Not only did this save time, but fast-track of Phase I will also allow for the County to be reimbursed earlier for that portion of the roadway. Reconstructed cross streets and designed sidewalks to meet ADA criteria. Designed pavement structure in east Travis County with poor soils. Incorporated City of Austin new waterline into the plan set for joint-bid.
- Innovative problem solving led to a recommendation of a phased implementation which saved the County Time & Money
- Gained experience in Travis County plan review processes
- Pavement design in similar soil conditions
- Worked closely with COA to include their waterline, Joint Bid.
- Public Involvement meeting included COA Hike and Bike Trail proponent Nathan Wilkes. Educated him on the process/ limitations/funding and agreed on design to accommodate future shared-use path w/o incurring additional project costs.
For more information regarding this project, please contact Ken Schrock, PE at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ENV Categorical Exclusion
FEMA Flood Plain Studies
Public Involvement Open House
MAPOs – Don’s BBQ
Joint Bid COA Waterline
Alternative Analysis to avoid impacts to Parks, Floodplains, and businesses.